If you’re not secure, you are putting your business’s most sensitive information, including sales orders, customer and product details, and financial records, at risk of being accessed and used for malicious purposes. Surprisingly, research shows that many businesses are not aware that this could be a problem or don’t have the right security in place to deal with such threats or at worst case scenario, attacks.
According to Gartner, “enterprises should consider the overall set of security functions and controls that permeate the entire environment that will be running trusted transactions.” The analyst firm contends that “vulnerabilities can be exploited, mostly by insiders to create business threats at the transaction level.”
A Gartner audit also noted that because the ERP solution was “used to process financial accounting information including purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger and human resources, security breaches in these areas could lead to unauthorized, undetected access to confidential financial and employee data.”
This might come as a surprise to you, but internal security issues account for most breaches in data security – in fact 60% of leaving employees take data with them! Here are 10 things that can happen if your internal ERP security hasn’t been setup correctly:
1. Unauthorized payments made to suppliers
2. By-passing of approvals on sales discounts and pricing, causing lost margin
3. Downloading of complete product assembly and manufacturing details by temporary workers
4. Duplicate payments made to suppliers
5. Sharing or selling of insider trading details
6. Loss of critical master data
7. Obstruction of process efficiency
8. Sharing of passwords and credentials, causing non-compliance
9. Deliberate misuse of pricelists and favouring of suppliers
10. Exposure to sensitive salary details resulting in a loss of talent and demotivation
It doesn’t have to be this way… Columbus offer solutions to make your Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 secure, based on our best practice approach and our focus on business processes.
Columbus Dynamic Security Management greatly simplifies the setup of roles and privileges, resulting in a sound segregation of duties.
Using Dynamic Security Management gives a business end to end insight into who is able to perform what in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. And as your business evolves, you can use Dynamic Security Management to evolve your ERP’s security with you and stay on top of any security role assignment changes.
Do you want to learn more about how to keep your business secrets safe? Watch our webinar on How to keep your ERP secure here, and discover exactly how Dynamic Security Management can protect your business from internal and external threats.